Princess – A real story of a girl/princess in Saudi Arabia kept in veils by her father, brother, husband and her sons. This is her life story and her struggles about not being to accept the traditions which are being followed in the secret society of Saudi Arabia
It is a story of Sultana who shows immense courage from her childhood and to the point where she wants to participate in every decision of her life. The story has many characters in a rich Saudi family but the main character (also the narrator) is Sultana. Sultana from her childhood is rebellious who constantly fights with her brother for being given undeserved attention from their father(just for being the ‘Son’). The miseries Sultana’s sisters/mother go through and her decision to take part in the marriage arranged by his father are explained very well. Her life post marriage and how her husband who said to have loved her choses to remarry just to prove the world that he can still have more sons was a truly heartbreaking.
What I liked about the book:
- I completely loved the writing of the book and it is so alluring that I couldn’t just put it down.
- The characters in the story were just apt and each character had an important role which made the book an interesting read.
- There was never a moment when I felt that the story is going too slow. After finishing each chapter, I was left with deep thoughts.
- The story was very well explained which scared me badly and it literally left me wondering how difficult life if for those women out there.
What I didn’t like:
- It life me thinking what can be really done to change such men’s perspective towards women. I don’t know how many women might have to sacrifice themselves before the realization begins.
I kept praying that something will happen magically that it happen to have a happy ending which I think is not possible. I am going to read the rest of the 2parts of the book now, but need some courage for that 😦
Let me know your thoughts on the same.
– The Dreamer
Check me out on Instagram – theimpulsivefantasist