I don’t know how many of you have noticed that till date the photos I capture are from my iPhone 6s. I started this as hobby and now I feel I have learnt some basics on the same and would like to move on to next level. I know my community have some great photographers, so I’m looking for advice from you all to help me select DSLR/Mirrorless camera.
Before moving on to the ones I have shortlisted, I want to put some baselines:
- I’m a beginner, never operated a DSLR much before *except of a friends’*.
- My budget is primarily around *500 – 650 USD* // *30000 – 45000 INR*.
- I would mainly shoot – landscapes, birds/animals(not wildlife specifically), street photography, portraits/family, architecture and macro.
My (final) list includes these –
- Nikon D5300 24.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with AF-P 18-55mm f/ 3.5-5.6g VR ( ~ 510USD/ 34000INR)
- Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera (Black) with AF-S DX 18-55mm VR II and AF-S DX 55-200mm VR II ( ~ 750USD/ 50000INR)
- Nikon Digital Camera D5300 BK IN AF-P 18-55 & AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G VR Kit ( ~ 660USD/ 44000INR)
- Nikon D3300 24.2MP Digital SLR (Black) + AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens + AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens ( ~ 540USD/ 36000INR)
- Canon EOS 700D 18MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with 18-55mm IS II and 55-250mm IS II Lens ( ~ 500USD/ 33500INR)
- Sony Alpha A6000L 24.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) with 16-50mm Lens (ILCE-6000L) – *Mirrorless* (~720$/48000INR)
Few Questions from my side:
- Firstly, I think I need to figure out whether I should go ahead with DSLR or Mirrorless camera. I visited an electronics shop yesterday and the salesman suggested Mirrorless because of the *optical viewfinder and fast autofocus*. But it is definitely higher in cost as well, and I’m skeptical whether it is that worth of investing.
- I’m not much aware about lenses as well, so any help towards that will also be much appreciated. I have read somewhere that VR II lens is good, but not sure what it is and if I choose VR(Nikon) or IS II(canon – 5th in queue), will that be ok for beginner photography.
- The salesman suggested canon EOS 700D, but I’m thinking about MPs here, it has 18MP against 24MP in Nikon, but how much difference will that make??
- Also, Canon EOS 700D have touch panel as an advantage, but is it really that helpful in longer terms?
- Nikon D5300 have shooting modes, I guess they’re not there in Nikon D3300 and not even in Canon EOS 700D. Is it helpful for a beginner?
- How important is zoom lens – DX 55-200mm VR II / NIKKOR 70-300mm / Canon 55-250mm IS II Lens? Can I buy without zoom lens right now and expand later or save money now by purchasing the camera with the kit?
- If someone can explain these zoom lens range, then that would be great.
Hoping to hear some suggestions to finalize a camera. As this would my first DSLR camera, I’m really excited about it and don’t want to mess it up by choosing randomly based on Amazon reviews.
Thanks in advance..
— The Dreamer
Check me out on Instagram – theimpulsivefantasist.